Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Homeowner repairs

Not all projects, even if they seem to be easy, are DIY projects. Even as a general contractor I know where my skills end and usually at that point I call in the experts. As much as I think I may know how this particular task should be done common sense takes over.

I started a new project yesterday. It resulted from a person buying a pre-existing home and calling for a home inspection. Just let the record show I beleive all buyers should get a home inspection done by a certified home inspector. This work started out as repairing a roof leak. After further investigation it turns out the homeowner installed his own new roof. The roof was installed improperly which resulted in tearing off all the flat roof deck material and replacing 5 sheets of plywood. The water was getting between the two roof materials so it was only a matter of time before it started showing up inside the home. The shingle portion of the roof is also installed inproperly but that is a cost my new client does not want to bear right now.

My point of this story is to say, every job has a certain skill level. There are highly educated people who know and do their job very well. My education does not go that high so I stay out of their line of work. Education does not give you common sense, so if a job appears like any dummy can do it, first talk to the dummy your trying to mimmick and educate yourself on his skill level.

No comments:

Post a Comment